When asked to share a recipe, Cameron Foy thought of her favorite cucumber salad. She purchases locally grown cucumber from the farmers market or grocery store and mixes an easy marinade that is quick, simple, and refreshing. Cameron shares that this side dish or snack, “is so ono and can be prepared and enjoyed by all!”
During the summer of 2021, Cameron interned remotely with us at HFMA through an internship program with Kapili ‘Oihana and Malama Kaua’i. She worked closely with our team to create keiki friendly recipes, capturing photos and writing farmers market blogs, developing social media content, and drafting the first ever farmers market manager manual in Hawaii! From this experience she was able to learn about Hawaii’s food systems and experience the inner workings of a local nonprofit organization. Cameron enjoyed her time with us and shares,
“the internship taught me the importance of shopping local and supporting local farmers. The opportunity also allowed me to utilize my creativity and express my love for the aina.”
Cameron was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii where she learned to love hiking, swimming, and watching a beautiful sunset. As her love for the environment grew, Cameron attended college at the University of San Diego where she was able to pursue her passion by receiving a degree in Environmental Studies. After summer, Cameron will be heading to Seattle where she will be working with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps as a Sustainability and Education Coordinator.
Cameron’s Cucumber Salad
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro (Optional)
- Chop cucumber into very thin slices
- Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt to the chopped cucumber and let sit for 30 min. This will help drain the water in the cucumber and help to make the dish extra crunchy.
- Then drain the excess cucumber water
- Next add your marinate using the remaining 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt along with the rice wine vinegar, sesame seeds, and cilantro.
- Pour marinate over cucumber and enjoy!
Interested in sharing a recipe featuring local Hawaii produce?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org